|Contribution to Parish Mission Statement|
|Our work for justice is a response in loving service to the physical and spiritual needs of our local, regional, and global communities.
|The Metropolitan Interfaith Council on Affordable Housing (MICAH) works in cooperation with area churches of all denominations to promote the building and preservation of affordable housing in local cities, Dakota County, and the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. MICAH believes that every person should have a safe, decent and affordable home. Saint John Neumann is a member of MICAH and is within the MICAH South Group of congregations that are located in Dakota County cities such as Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville, Rosemount, Lakeville, Farmington and Inver Grove Heights. |
- Responsibilities depend upon your interests. Opportunities for involvement include any of the following:
Be part of a planning/leadership group.
- Attend a meeting when turnout is important at a local City Council, Planning Commission, meeting of Dakota County Commissioners, or state legislative session.
- Contact local government officials by phone, letter, or email when issues regarding affordable housing will be addressed.
- Write letters to the editor for local papers.
- Help to research relevant topics and consider how to educate others (MICAH members or parishioners) as appropriate.
- Work to establish a housing trust fund in Dakota County that would help ensure that homes stay affordable in the long-term
- Staff a table when we want to educate the broader parish about an issue.
- Help put together an orientation packet or session for people who want to get involved but need more information.
- Help organize educational forums for governmental officials and the general public.
- Attend candidate forums to raise issues about affordable housing or meeting with local officials or other community leaders about affordable housing.
|An interest in learning more about barriers to affordable housing. A willingness to take action, as you are able, to promote the building and preservation of affordable housing. |
|Depend on how you choose to get involved. |
|Length of Commitment|
|8 months |
|Provided as necessary. |
|Ministry Leader and Pastoral Associate for Justice & Charity |